Saturday, July 4, 2009

Anna Sui For Target

I'm usually disappointed by designer/Target collaborations, so I must admit that I didn't have the highest of hopes for Anna Sui's new Gossip Girl-inspired Target line.

But guess what: I actually like Sui's Target looks better than most of her usual frocks! Sui's traditionally high, bibbed necklines and dark, paisley prints have always reminded me of the granny gowns of the 1970's...only more morose. And while I appreciate her daring, bohemian aesthetic, the colors and silhouettes towards which she gravitates simply aren't my personal style.

I haven't watched a single episode of Gossip Girl, but I think the fact that Sui has designed her Target collection with the show's younger, trendier audience in mind, has resulted in my being more appreciative of the final outcome.

To see the collection in full, I suggest visiting The Budget Babe Blog for an excellent, in-depth look. That's where I got my first real taste of the soon-to-be-available options, and I've had the hardest time deciding which look is my absolute favorite.

I guess if you had to press, and press and press me, I'd pick this electric blue number. Yes, the high neckline and past-the-elbow-sleeves I mentioned above are at play here, but the color is cheery rather than somber, as is the diamond print. The dress is totally work appropriate, but still possesses a distinct edge. Such a combination is difficult to come by, in my opinion.


Of course, It's practically impossible for a person to be a fan of every look in one's book, so it should come as no surprise that I'm extremely iffy...fine, make that extremely icky...about the following design:


Shrunk, cut, tied, and dyed in all the wrong places, if you ask me. I just don't get this outfit at all. It's like three different packaged punk rocker Halloween costumes combined. Everything about if is stereotypical, and at the same time, nothing about it is attractive.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment