Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wardrobe Wishlist: Matthew Williamson

If I had the money, I'd buy myself some Matthew Williamson. Of course, he did just design a capsule collection for H&M.

Whimsical, eclectic, ethereal, bohemian, detailed, imaginative...these are words that can be used to describe both Matthew Williamson's work and any piece of cloting to which I'm drawn.

Matthew Williamson has the free-thinking power to take a trend and turn it on its ear in such a way that the resulting garment almost laughs in the face of all other followers. Take the silk dress below, for example. Like the spring and summer dresses we see year after year, it's got the tribal thing going on, and yet it's hardly safari-predictable. It encompasses the geometric prints we're used to, but the ombre coloring and randomness of the motif makes it more spirited than stiff.


The racer back and loose fit of this dress make it weekend appropriate, while the incredible detailing and notice-me colors allow it to be easily dressed up for the most glamorous of occasions. The embroidery manages to remind me of both a Eastern European countryside festival and The Great Gatsby. Basically, you know Mr. Williamson is really working his eclectic magicianship here.


You can imagine that I'm excited about Matthew Williamson's new, affordable H&M line, in stores since April 23. I'm a big peacock feather fan, so I'm all about the color scheme and patterns pictured here. Te drapey, layered top at the bottom would really work with my shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment