Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In Search Of: An Inexpensive, Summery Work Dress

My weight tends to fluctuate like the weather. Therefore, quite expectedly, last year's summer work dresses are no longer cutting it on my body. Fortunately, the dresses are too big this time around, rather than too small. Unfortunately, after being laid off back in November and now temping for about 50% less than what I once made, I don't have the funds to purchase what I really want.

That's one reason why I've cast my sights on none other than GAP and Ann Taylor Loft. The other reason is these are the two stores I pass by every day on my way home from work. Lately, I just don't have the time to go far out of my way for fashion. Yes, my situation really is quite tragic.

Truth be told, neither the GAP, nor Ann Taylor are my type of place, in general. The GAP is too basic basic for my style, and shopping at Ann Taylor makes me nervous about turning into my mother about twenty years too early. Still, I can always manage to pick out a few items from either place that will work for me just fine ...provided that I pair them with the right accessories.

However: A quick website review has led me to believe that the GAP seems to have few work appropriate items in stock these days. Why bother attending the place in person, then?

Hello, Ann T. Loft only, it is!

Here's what I'm considering right now:

I'm not totes comfortable with wearing a sleeveless dress to work (my place of work is pretty casual, but I always like to dress for a bigger role). However, this dress will work just fine if paired with a short-sleeved cardigan. There's something snappy and modern-refined about it that makes it work appropriate. What I really love about it is:
  • It's ridiculously versatile
  • It has pockets
  • The V-neck and folded tulip skirt would work well with my pear shape (the V-neck lengthens and the skirt would help to balance out my hips)
  • I gotta say, I look good in cranberry











Now, this one...I'm not too crazy about the coloring, but the bohemian pattern appeals to me, and the square neckline is flattering in that it would widen my smaller upper body, thereby balancing out my thicker lower half. Plus, this dress has sleeves. Sleeves come in handy when at work.











I really am into graphic prints lately, and I like that, while sleeveless, this sheath dress is sophisticated enough to wear to work minus a cover-up. That said, an article of clothing containing this much white is normally not great for my already pale skin tone.











Now here's a print/color combination I like. Cooler tones like these are better for my pale, yet rosy complexion. This garment would need a little sweater to make it A-OK for work, but the chiffon fabric helps it to be more formal and sophisticated.











Of course, here's an option that includes the same color, yet remains a little more demure. The ruffly detailing works to draw attention away from the lower half, a.k.a. my not-so-good area.











Which one do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment