Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Can't Stand These Commuter Fashion Trends

Every morning my husband and I commute from Hoboken, NJ into Manhattan for work. And every morning I must see at least 50 different women in the Port Authority Bus Terminal who are:

*Wearing hair claws
*Wearing flip flops
*Carrying their stuff around in a used shopping bag

What I find especially interesting, is these are the same women who are perpetually:

*Carrying Louis Vuitton bags
*Wearing gigantic rocks on their ring fingers
*Glued to their iphones

The two sets of trends kind of cancel each other out. I suppose that once these women reach work, the flip flops come off, the hair claws come out, and the shopping bags get tucked away. Still, it seems to me that if you're going to project a certain image at work, you should feel a little sheepish about projecting the exact opposite image on your way to work.

I understand that commuters require a certain amount of convenience and comfort. Still, I just hate having to stare at those hair claws and rumpled up Juicy Couture shopping bags every morning. When your handbag is the size of Arizona, why do you need to carry around a used shopping bag, as well? Is it so you can assure everyone that you shop at the most expensive stores in Manhattan? Is it because that's where you store your more presentable shoes and you don't want them to muss up the inside of your $3,000 satchel? Can't you at least pick up a reusable tote? And why do people love these hair claws so much? I find them so haphazard, so "I need to get my hair out of my face but I'm too lazy to put any effort into doing so." I think they look like pigeon talons, and I especially hate the ones that are designed to blend into your hair. Like clear bra straps, they're not fooling anyone.

Call me neurotic, and I'll agree with you. But I doubt I'll ever be swayed into seeing the other side of this one.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta say you couldn't persuade me to part with my flops. Although I wouldn't rock them with career garb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, totally! No way could I go one weekend without my Havaianas. But I won't wear them to work.

    ReplyDelete