Sunday, June 28, 2009

Coach's Poppy Collection

I remember the first time I took note of the Coach motif. I was about ten years old, and was walking through Macy's with my mom. Just as we were about to exit the store, I spotted a canvas pump covered with that infamous "C" on display. At once, I was both horrified and terribly confused. Why would someone want to walk around with such an unattractive pattern all over their feet? I posed the question to my mother, and her response was something like, "Oh, those are Coach shoes. That's what the 'C' stands for--Coach. They're very expensive. Some women really like that pattern, believe it or not."

Today, I'm still trying to believe. Not only do I continue to be turned off by the repetitive "C's," I'm just not into Coach's overall look, especially when it comes to for what the brand is most known: handbags. I'm sure the craftsmanship is very good, but to me, there's something matronly about the shape of Coach's bags. I think when it comes down to it, Coach is just a little too traditional for me.

That said, Coach has practically thrown tradition to the wind with its new, slightly less expensive line, "Poppy." The younger, freer, brighter collection appeals to even me. In fact, when it comes to Poppy, I can actually get into the "C's"! On the bag below, they kind of look like a Gustav Klimt painting. And at the same time, they're what keep the bag grounded, or in other words, from looking a tad too much like the circus has come to town.


You can see more of the Poppy line at Coach's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment